top of page

About the Lincoln, VT Historical Society

History of the Lincoln, Vermont Historical Society


     The history of the Lincoln Historical Society (LHS) begins in early 1970 when members of the United Church of Lincoln began organizing artifacts and items from local residents, along with those already accumulated, for housing and display in the former Methodist upper church. Beverly Brown and Margaret Harris worked curating the project. After the upper church building was relocated to replace the United Church building in Lincoln Center that burned in 1981, the historical items were placed in storage.

     On May 18, 1984 the Lincoln Historical Society was formally organized and by-laws adopted. Knowing that there needed to be a place to house and display the collection of artifacts, photographs, and other items, the officers and members set about finding an appropriate site and building. In 1986, a one-acre parcel of land next to the town office on Quaker Street in Lincoln Center was procured. Next, a 19th-century farmhouse known as the Henry Eubar homestead in South Lincoln was offered to the Society in May 1987.  After many fundraisers and a $10,000 grant from the family of Mary Taylor, whose sculpture may be seen at the museum, the house was moved to the LHS property on Quaker Street in May 1988. A grand opening was held on May 28, 1989 and the museum has been open to the public seasonally ever since.

     Lincoln’s history is exorbitantly tied to agriculture and farming. So when an old English barn was donated to the LHS by John Mailloux, a project to dismantle it from West Lincoln and reconstruct it next to the museum on Quaker Street was begun in 1990. A series of weekend restoration workshops took place, which were also videotaped and televised on “Across the Fence” and aired on WCAX Channel 3. Today the barn is open to the public and exhibits antique farm tools and equipment.

     Through the years, many volunteers have worked to fulfill the mission of the LHS and to keep it moving forward for future generations. Events such as the popular pumpkin carving contest, dinners, and May yard-sale brought the community together and supported the LHS’s efforts.

     In addition to the museum and barn being open to visitors, an archival research collection of historical books, newspaper clippings, obituaries, and documents is available for use in the LHS’s library. The objects, photographs, and archival materials of the museum collection are regularly cataloged in a museum database. The LHS produces a yearly exhibit on topics relating to the history of Lincoln that can be viewed at the Lincoln Library and later at the LHS museum during the summer months. The LHS also works with the Lincoln Community School on historical activities and programs. The recycle cart located at the museum servs an important function in the community and is a source of income for the LHS.

  Source: Lincoln Vermont History 1780-2007, published by the Lincoln Historical     Society, 2007.

An old postcard of the Bicknell Purinton Store in Lincoln, Vermont in 1909.
An old postcard view of Lincoln Center, Vermont from Lee's Hill in 1910 with houses and church.
An old postcard of Sargent's Store in West Lincoln, Vermont in 1910.

Mission Statement

The mission of the Lincoln Historical Society is to foster a greater understanding of the rich legacy of Lincoln, Vermont, by preserving, exhibiting and encouraging communal engagement with the evidence of our unique past, present and promise for the future.

President - Rhonda Hutchins

Vice-President - Lucinda Cockrell

Secretary – Serena Fox

Treasurer – Larry Masterson

Members at Large:

Eleanor Menzer

Wendy McIntosh

Board of Directors

A close up of the Lincoln Historical Museum in spring with flowers.
bottom of page